COMMITTEE FOR REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT
MINUTES OF PROCEEDINGS
Wednesday 18 June 2008
ROOM 21, PARLIAMENT BUILDINGS
Fred Cobain MLA (Chairperson)
Cathal Boylan MLA
Willie Clarke MLA
John Dallat MLA
John McCallister MLA
Raymond McCartney MLA
Stephen Moutray MLA
Jim Wells MLA
Brian Wilson MLA
In Attendance: Roisin Kelly (Assembly Clerk)
Clairita Frazer (Assistant Assembly Clerk)
Pauline Devlin (Clerical Supervisor)
Annette Page (Clerical Officer)
Apologies: William Irwin MLA
George Robinson MLA
The Committee decided to begin the meeting in open session.
The meeting opened at 10.38 a.m. in open session.
Apologies were received from William Irwin and George Robinson.
Draft Minutes of the Meeting of 11 June 2008.
The minutes of the meeting held on 11 June 2008 were agreed.
Members noted that seven Committee Members had attended a price control 2010 workshop delivered by the Utility Regulator in Parliament Buildings on Tuesday 17 June 2008. Members agreed to write to the Utility Regulator thanking him for providing the workshop, and to circulate the papers provided at the workshop to those Committee Members who were unable to attend.
Brian Wilson joined the meeting at 10.43 a.m.
Members noted receipt of additional information from the Department and Northern Ireland Water regarding the Department’s Sustainable Development Strategy.
The Committee noted receipt of additional information from the Department regarding the recognition and acceptability of disabled badges for vehicle users from outside Northern Ireland. Members agreed to write to the Department urging them to explore options for publicising the existing arrangements to facilitate visiting disabled badge holders from European Conference of Ministers of Transport associate countries, and seeking clarification on the acceptability of disabled badges from non-EU countries, and the policy in relation to recognition of such badges.
Members noted receipt of a letter from the Department outlining the timetable for the Review of the Regional Development Strategy. Members agreed to write to the Committee for the Office of the First Minister and Deputy First Minister requesting briefing on the work which the Strategic Investment Board is currently undertaking with the International Centre for Local and Regional Development.
Residents’ Parking Action Group - Briefing.
Residents’ Parking Action Group representatives Sean Fryers, Deirdre Hargey, Derek Halligan and Margaret Walsh joined the meeting at 10.45 a.m.
The Committee received briefing from the Residents’ Parking Action Group on their concerns with the introduction of residents’ parking schemes in Belfast, and the financial costs of the schemes.
John McCallister joined the meeting at 11.12 a.m.
The Residents’ Group agreed to provide the Committee with additional written information on their consultations and alternative proposals. Following consideration of this additional information, Members agreed that the Committee would write to the Department outlining the residents’ concerns and seeking written briefing on the Residents’ Group’s suggested alternatives to the proposed scheme.
Residents’ Parking Action Group representatives left the meeting at 11.20 a.m.
The Committee agreed to request a research paper from Assembly Research and Library Services on residents’ parking schemes in other areas.
Sustrans and Save the Greenway Campaign – Joint Briefing.
Sustrans executives Steven Patterson and Patricia Wallace, and Save the Greenway Campaign representative Caroline McDowell joined the meeting at 11.25 a.m.
The Committee received briefing from representatives of Sustrans and the Save the Greenway Campaign on their concerns with the proposed EWAY Rapid Transit route.
The Committee agreed to write to the Department requesting clarification on segregation on sections of the EWAY route using the Greenway.
Sustrans executives and the Save the Greenway Campaign representative left the meeting at 11.52 a.m.
Energy Saving Trust – Briefing.
Energy Saving Trust executive Noel Williams joined the meeting at 11.54 a.m.
The Committee received briefing from the Energy Saving Trust on climate change issues and the impact of transport on CO 2 emissions.
John Dallat left the meeting at 12.01 p.m.
The Energy Saving Trust executive left the meeting at 12.10 p.m.
Members noted the following new SL1s received:
- The Parking Places on Roads (Newtownstewart) Order ( Northern Ireland) 2008;
- The Off-Street Parking Order ( Northern Ireland) 2008;
- The Donegall Quay, Belfast (Abandonment) Order ( Northern Ireland) 2008;
- The Waiting Restrictions (Rathfriland) Order ( Northern Ireland) 2008; and
- The Parking Places on Roads (Strabane) (Amendment) Order ( Northern Ireland) 2008 ;
Members noted the following new SL1s received:
- The Waiting Restrictions (Portstewart) Order ( Northern Ireland) 2008;
- The Waiting Restrictions (Portrush) Order ( Northern Ireland) 2008; and
Members agreed to write to the Department drawing attention to Coleraine Borough Council’s request that signage is used to indicate the above waiting restrictions as opposed to double yellow lines.
Members noted the following new SL1 received:
- The T7 (Broadbridge) Order ( Northern Ireland) 2008.
Departmental officials Roy Sherman and Colin Hutchinson joined the meeting at 12.11 p.m.
Members received briefing from Departmental officials Roy Sherman and Colin Hutchinson on the policy proposals within this SL1.
John Dallat rejoined the meeting at 12.12 p.m.
Departmental officials left the meeting at 12.17 p.m.
Members noted receipt of the following Statutory Rules which are not subject to any Assembly procedure:
- 247/2008 The Waiting Restrictions (Moneyglass) Order ( Northern Ireland) 2008; and
- 246/2008 The Waiting Restrictions (Tobermore) Order ( Northern Ireland) 2008.
Members noted receipt of the seventeenth Report of the Examiner of Statutory Rules to the Assembly and the Appropriate Committees, which was published on 13 June 2008. In the absence of any objections, the following question was put and agreed:
“That the Committee for Regional Development has considered the 2008/221 – The Meadowview, Newtownabbey (Abandonment) Order ( Northern Ireland) 2008 and has no objection to the rule .”
All those in favour: Cathal Boylan, Willie Clarke, Fred Cobain, John Dallat, John McCallister, Raymond McCartney, Stephen Moutray, Jim Wells and Brian Wilson.
All those against: none
Members instructed the Clerk to notify the Business Office on the decision reached by the Committee in considering this Statutory Rule.
Mr Wilson updated the Committee on outstanding issues with the proposed SL1; The Old Belfast Road Bangor (Abandonment) Order ( Northern Ireland) 2008.
Members agreed to write to the Department to request oral briefing from officials on this proposal and before further Committee consideration of this SL1.
Members noted further information on the NIE objections in relation to the following SL1s:
- The Drumcroon Road and Crevolea Road, Aghadowey (Abandonment) Order ( Northern Ireland) 2008; and
- The Dromore Road and Highlands Road (Footway) (Abandonment) Order ( Northern Ireland) 2008.
Members indicated that, at this stage,they were content with the policy merits of the above SL1s, and requested further briefing from the Department on the resolution of the objections before the Rules are laid.
- Members noted receipt of a letter dated 11 June 2008, from the Department regarding the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 2009.
- Members noted receipt of a letter dated 13 June 2008, from the Department requesting that the proposed briefing on the decision by the former Chief Executive of Northern Ireland Water to step down be postponed, and requesting that briefing is rescheduled for Wednesday 2 July 2008. Members agreed that this briefing be rescheduled for 2 July 2008.
- Members noted receipt of a letter dated 16 June 2008, from DALO Alan Doherty regarding additional information to the NCP briefing.
- Members noted receipt of a letter dated 16 June 2008, from DALO Alan Doherty regarding the Committee’s request to receive the quarterly efficiency performance update after it has been seen by the Minister.
- Members noted receipt of an invitation to attend a boat trip on the ‘St Brendan’ in Strangford Lough on 4 September 2008. Members agreed to contact the Committee office should they wish to attend.
- Members noted receipt of two press releases from Northern Ireland Water.
Any Other Business.
The Committee agreed the recommendation of the sub-group formed at the meeting of 30 April 2008, on the appointment of a specialist adviser to the Committee on Water and Sewerage Services.
Date, Time and Place of Next Meeting.
The next meeting will be at 10.30 a.m. on Wednesday 25 June 2008 in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.
The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.44 p.m.