COMMITTEE FOR FINANCE AND PERSONNEL
MINUTES OF PROCEEDINGS
WEDNESDAY, 05 DECEMBER 2007
ROOM 152, PARLIAMENT BUILDINGS
Present: Mitchel McLaughlin MLA (Chairperson)
Mervyn Storey MLA (Deputy Chairperson)
Roy Beggs MLA
Dr Stephen Farry MLA
Simon Hamilton MLA
Fra McCann MLA
Jennifer McCann MLA
Adrian McQuillan MLA
Declan O’Loan MLA
Dawn Purvis MLA
Peter Weir MLA
In Attendance: Shane McAteer (Assembly Clerk)
Vivien Ireland (Assistant Assembly Clerk)
Colin Jones (Assistant Assembly Clerk)
Mary Thompson (Clerical Officer)
The meeting commenced at 10.03 am in open session.
Apologies are detailed above.
2. Draft Minutes of Proceedings 28 November 2007
Agreed: for publication on the Assembly website.
Agreed: that the Committee’s consideration of the working draft of its Report on the Draft Budget 2008-11 (Agenda Item 6) will be held in closed session.
3. Matters Arising
Members noted the following:
- outstanding requests for information from Department for Finance and Personnel (DFP);
- DFP response to the Committee regarding efficiency figures; and
- information from DFP in relation to the review of policy on the location of public sector jobs. Members were advised that the document relating to the proposed panel members was ‘in confidence’ until the panel is confirmed.
Members were briefed by the Chairperson in relation to the recent meeting which he and the Deputy Chairperson had with the Minister regarding the proposed panel for the review of policy on the location of public sector jobs.
Agreed: that the Committee will commission Assembly Research and Library Service to prepare a paper on the recently published Framework to Underpin Decisions on the Location of Public Sector Jobs resulting from the Review of Public Administration.
Mr Storey left the meeting at 10.06 am.
4. DFP Briefing on December Monitoring Round
The Committee received a briefing from Jim O’Hagan, Finance Director; and Deborah McNeilly, Assistant Finance Director, DFP on the December Monitoring position.
Mr Storey returned to the meeting at 10.15 am.
Agreed: that the Committee will be forward follow up issues to DFP officials for a written response.
5. DFP Update on the Executive’s Data Protection Review
The Committee received a briefing from Bill McCluggage, Chief Information Officer, Northern Ireland Civil Service; and Colin Cluney, E-Government Policy, Deputy Director (Acting), DFP on the Personal Data Security Review.
Dr Farry joined the meeting at 10.38 am.
Mr Weir left the meeting at 10.40 am.
Dr Farry left the meeting at 10.40 am.
Mr Weir returned to the meeting at 10.45 am.
Dr Farry returned to the meeting at 10.45 am.
Ms McCann left the meeting at 10.46 am.
Ms McCann returned to the meeting at 10.50 am.
Mr Hamilton joined the meeting at 11.00 am.
Mr Storey left the meeting at 11.16 am.
Members considered a draft press release in respect of the Personal Data Security Review.
Agreed: that the press release should issue subject to a minor amendment.
Mr Weir left the meeting at 11.39 am.
Meeting continued in closed session at 11.39 am.
6. Consideration of Working Draft of Committee Report on Draft Budget 2008-11
Agreed: that the consideration of the working draft of the Committee Report on Draft Budget 2008-11will be held in closed session, which is in line with normal practice for consideration of draft committee reports.
Members noted the responses received from eight statutory committees in respect of the Draft Budget and were advised that two responses remain outstanding from the Committee for Health, Social Services and Public Safety and the Committee for Social Development.
Agreed: that all responses from statutory committees received before going to print will be included as appendices in the report.
The Committee deliberated on the emerging conclusions and recommendations in the working draft of the Committee’s report.
Agreed: that the draft report will be updated and included in members packs for formal consideration and agreement at the next meeting of the Committee on 12 December.
Members noted that DFP require the typescript version of the agreed report before Christmas recess.
Meeting continued in open session at 12.07 am.
Members noted the following correspondence:
- Letter from Chair of Social Development Committee to DFP Minister regarding Valuation Services;
- Letter from Advice NI regarding its work in relation to benefit uptake and fuel poverty;
Agreed: that the letter will be forwarded to DFP for information.
- Response from the Committee for the Office of First Minister and Deputy First Minister (COFMDFM) regarding the Strategic Investment Board;
- Letter from COFMDFM regarding update on the progress on the Review of Public Administration; and
- Advice from the Speaker regarding debates on Private Members’ Motions.
8. Committee Work Programme
Members considered the updated Committee work programme until Christmas recess.
Agreed: that the briefing on the Civil Law Reform, provisionally scheduled for 12 December, will be postponed until January 2008.
Agreed: that the revised work programme will be published on the Assembly website.
9. Any Other Business
Members were advised that a working lunch will be provided at next week’s Committee meeting.
10. Date, Time and Place of Next Meeting
The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, 12 December 2007 at 11.00 am in Room 135, Parliament Buildings.
The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at12.12 pm.