18 May 2007
COMMITTEE FOR EDUCATION WELCOMES MINISTER
The first meeting of the Northern Ireland Assembly’s Committee for Education was today attended by Minister of Education, Caitríona Ruane.
The Minister was welcomed by Chairperson, Mr Sammy Wilson, MP. The meeting was also attended by the Department of Education Permanent Secretary, Mr Will Haire, and senior colleagues.
After an introduction by the Minister, senior officials briefed the Committee on the work of the Department and the key issues facing education.
Mr Wilson said:
“The Committee will have a scrutiny, policy development and consultation role, which will be vital in advising the Minister on the policy and plans of the Department”.
The Committee agreed its terms of reference:
- consider and advise on departmental budgets and annual plans in the context of the overall budget allocation;
- approve relevant secondary legislation and take the Committee Stage of relevant primary legislation;
- call for persons and papers;
- initiate inquiries and make reports; and
- consider and advise on matters brought to the Committee by its Minister.
NOTE FOR EDITOR
The Chairperson of the Committee is Mr Sammy Wilson, MP MLA
The Deputy Chairperson is Mr Dominic Bradley MLA
The Committee has a further 9 members:
Mrs Mary Bradley MLA
Mr Paul Butler MLA
Rt. Hon Mr Jeffrey Donaldson MP MLA
Mr Trevor Lunn MLA
Mr Basil McCrea MLA
Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Ms Michelle O’Neill MLA
Mr Ken Robinson MLA
Mr Mervyn Storey MLA
All enquiries about the work of the Committee should be directed to:
Mr Sammy Wilson, MP
Chairperson, Committee for Education
Tel: +44 028 90521192
Fax: +44 028 90521834
Clerk, Committee for Education.
Tel: +44 (0)28 9052 1787
Mobile 079 0005 3929
Fax: +44 (0)28 9052 1371
e-mail : email@example.com