COMMITTEE FOR CULTURE, ARTS AND LEISURE
MINUTES OF PROCEEDINGS
THURSDAY 22 APRIL 2010
ROOM 21, PARLIAMENT BUILDINGS
Mr Barry McElduff MLA (Chairperson)
Mr Declan O’Loan MLA (Deputy Chairperson)
Lord Browne MLA
Mr Trevor Clarke MLA
Mr Billy Leonard MLA
Mr Kieran McCarthy MLA
Mr Raymond McCartney MLA
Mr David McClarty MLA
Ms Michelle McIlveen MLA
Mr Ken Robinson MLA
Mr PJ Bradley MLA
Dr Kathryn Bell (Clerk)
Ms Emma Patton (Assistant Clerk)
Mr Jonathan Lamont (Clerical Supervisor)
Mr Christopher Baird (Clerical Officer)
The meeting opened in public session at 10.35 a.m.
The apologies are noted above.
Ms McIlveen left the meeting at 10.36 a.m.
2. Draft minutes of 15 April 2010
Agreed: The draft minutes of the meeting held on 15 April 2010 were agreed.
3. Matters Arising
The Committee noted the response from the Department in relation to the revised spending plans for 2010/2011.
Ms McIlveen left the meeting at 10.37a.m.
The Committee noted that Sport NI had advised that its budget is to be cut in 2010/2011 by £2 million on the resource side and £0.5 million on the capital side.
The Committee noted the response from the Minister in relation to DCAL’s Forecast Outturn figures for February and March 2010.
Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to ascertain the level of underspend for 2009/2010 across the various spending areas.
The Committee noted the response from the Minister in relation to the Committee’s request to be copied into his response to the NIO Minister regarding The Sexual Offences (NI) Order 2008.
Agreed: The Committee agreed to request that the Department briefs it on this issue at a later date.
The Committee noted the memo from the Department advising that the Minister will be meeting with the Lough Neagh and Lower Bann Advisory Committees on 11 May 2010.
Mr Robinson joined the meeting at 10.41a.m.
The Committee noted the response from the Department in relation to the delay in publishing the North/South Language Body Annual Accounts.
The Committee noted the response from the Department in relation to the Grand Opera House cost overrun.
Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department for more clarification.
The Committee noted the update from the Minister on the work of the fisheries protection officers.
The Committee noted the response from Foras na Gaeilge in relation to its grants to organisations for 2008 and 2009.
Lord Browne declared an interest as a Member of Belfast City Council.
The Committee noted the information from Research Services on the Scottish and Welsh governments’ views on the DCMS consultation on listed events.
4. Arts Council Briefing regarding awards for ASOP funding for 2010/2011
The Committee noted the DCAL response regarding research on the arts.
Agreed: The Committee agreed to request a copy of the Department’s paper when it has been completed.
The Committee noted information provided by the Arts Council on ASOP funding for 2010/2011.
The Committee noted correspondence from the Community Arts Forum on the ASOP funding for 2010/2011.
The following representatives from the Arts Council joined the meeting:
Rosemary Kelly, Chairperson
Roisín McDonough, Chief Executive
Nóirin McKinney, Director of Arts Development
Lorraine McDowell, Director of Operations
The representatives briefed the Committee.
Mr Clarke joined the meeting at 11.00 a.m.
Ms McIlveen re-joined the meeting at 11.13 a.m.
This was followed by a question and answer session.
5. Forward Work Programme
Agreed: The Committee agreed the forward work programme.
Agreed: The Committee agreed to change the scheduled date for the Department’s briefing on the June monitoring to the meeting of 1 June 2010.
6. Inquiry into participation in sport and physical activity
The Committee noted the responses from the departments in relation to the bike to work scheme.
Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to DRD requesting that the Committee be informed of the completion date of its pilot scheme and that it receives a copy of its findings.
The Committee noted the Assembly research paper on the GP referral scheme.
Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister for Health to seek further information on the GP referral scheme.
7. Townland Names
The Committee noted the correspondence from the Speaker stating that the Assembly Commission has agreed to use the townland name of ‘Ballymiscaw’ in the Assembly’s official address.
The Committee noted the correspondence from the Place Name Project advising that it has received funding from the Department for Community, Equality and Gaeltacht Affairs to work on the townland names of Cavan.
Agreed : The Committee agreed to seek information on research on townland names by Brad Ingram.
8. Chairperson’s Business
Members were informed that the Chairperson would attend the Celtic Media Festival in Newry at The Canal Court Hotel on 22 April 2010.
Agreed: The Committee agreed to hold a meeting at the Beam Creative Network.
Agreed: The Committee agreed to host a performance of the Ballyholme School Choir and to provide lunch.
The Committee considered the correspondence from the Finance and Personnel Committee in relation to the in-year monitoring guidelines to be provided to departments.
Agreed: The Committee agreed to the wording of the guidelines.
The Committee noted the press release from the Arts Council stating that it will gift its historic art collection to museums and galleries.
Agreed : The Committee agreed to seek further information on the art works from the Arts Council.
The Committee noted the response from the Department of the Environment in relation to local government owned art.
Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the DCAL Minister on this issue.
The Committee noted the letter from the Lough NeaghPartnership inviting the Committee to hold a meeting at its centre.
Agreed: The Committee agreed that the committee office would explore this possibility.
The Committee noted the letter from Belfast International Airport regarding the public inquiry into the proposed extension of the runaway at Belfast City airport.
Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Belfast International Airport stating that the Committee has not considered this issue.
The Committee noted the letter from Gillian Thomson, a PhD student at the University of Ulster and the enclosed copy of ‘Reflexion’.
The Committee noted the invitation from the Special Olympics to a breakfast event at Belfast City Hall on Friday 23 April at 10am.
The Committee noted the letter from Aodán Mac Póilin, Director of the Ultach Trust.
Agreed: The Committee agreed to a briefing from the Ultach Trust. at next week’s meeting.
Mr McElduff left the meeting at 12.10 p.m.
Mr O’Loan assumed the Chair at 12.10 p.m.
10. DCAL briefing on Eel Fishing Regulations (NI) 2010 and Eel Fishing (Licence Duties) Regulations (NI) 2010
The Committee noted documentation in relation to the proposed legislation.
The following officials joined the meeting:
Karen Simpson, Head of Inland Fisheries - DCAL
Marcus McAuley , Chief Fisheries Officer - DCAL
Liam Devlin, DCAL official
The officials briefed the Committee.
This was followed by a question and answer session.
Agreed: The Committee agreed that it was content with the proposed legislation.
11. Any other Business
The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.54 p.m.