Friday 4 December 2009
Lighting of the Assembly Tree
A Christmas reception was held last night (Thursday 3 December) at Parliament Buildings to acknowledge the excellent work carried out by organisations and volunteers in the field of cancer care across Northern Ireland. It was an opportunity to acknowledge the courage of those who face the daily challenge of living with cancer and to recognise the support given by carers who work behind the scenes and do not seek recognition or reward.
The Speaker of the Northern Ireland Assembly, Mr William Hay, MLA said:
"In recent years the Northern Ireland Assembly has worked hard to open its doors, to become more welcoming, and to really engage with the community it serves. The lighting of the Assembly Christmas tree has become the official start of the Christmas season in Parliament Buildings. Christmas is a time when we think of others, and particularly of those who need our support. In that spirit, this special evening gave me the opportunity to recognise the work being done by so many organisations, professionals, volunteers and carers within our community, who care for those living with cancer."
At the reception the Speaker also switched on the lights of the Parliament Buildings Christmas tree with the assistance of Niamh and Catherine Cullen from Tandragee.
Notes to editors:
- Picture: The Speaker, assisted by Catherine and Niamh Cullen at the switching on of the Parliament Buildings Christmas Tree lights.
- Invitations were issued to Cancer groups from all over Northern Ireland.
- MLAs from the Health Committee and All Party Group on Cancer along with the Assembly Commission attended.
- Methodist College Chapel Choir, winners of the RTE 2009 All Island School Choir of the Year performed.
- The Christmas tree has been sourced locally from Northern Ireland forests and will be recycled after use.
Media Enquiries to:
Jennifer Pleavin, Communications Officer
Northern Ireland Assembly Communications Office,
Tel No: 028 9052 1606
Mobile. 07502 379339
Website Address: archive.niassembly.gov.uk
The Speaker, assisted by Catherine and Niamh Cullen at the switching on of the Parliament Buildings Christmas Tree lights.