SUB-GROUP ON ECONOMIC ISSUES
Following a direction from The Rt Hon Peter Hain MP, Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, on 23 November 2006, the Assembly’s Committee on the Programme for Government established a sub-group on economic issues on 27 November 2006. The initial chairpersons approved by the Programme for Government Committee were the Deputy Speakers, Mr Francie Molloy MLA and Mr Jim Wells MLA. Following the meeting of the Programme for Government Committee on 11 December 2006, Mr Tom O'Reilly MLA was nominated as the Chairperson of the sub-group.
The sub-group’s terms of reference are …
1. To consider and analyse the economic package outlined by the Chancellor at the meeting with the political parties on 1 November 2006.
2. To develop an alternative set of proposals to be put to the Chancellor by the Committee.
3. To consider the potential budget deficit in the event that the water reform legislation and other revenue related issues do not proceed or are deferred.
4. To make enquiries into the reports that a financial package is to be made available to Northern Ireland by the Irish Government under its National Development Plan to be announced in January 2007; to investigate and report on the proposed quantum and arrangements for allocation and financial accountability; to determine whether any conditions should be attached and to engage with the Irish Government.
5. To report to the Committee on the Programme for Government by Friday 15 December 2006 in relation to the proposed financial package from the Irish Government and by Friday 22 December 2006 in relation to the other aspects of the sub-group’s terms of reference.
Minutes of the sub-group on economic issues:
2007: 18 January
Official Reports (Hansard) of the sub-group on the Economic Challenges Facing Northern Ireland:
|6/06R||29.01.07||Report on Government's Responses to the Reports on the Economic Challenges facing Northern Ireland||978 0 339 60194 9|