Culture, Arts and Leisure Committee
INQUIRY INTO THE DEVELOPMENT OF A MUSEUMS POLICY FOR NORTHERN IRELAND
TERMS OF REFERENCE
- To consider the impact on museums in Northern Ireland resulting from a lack of a formal Departmental policy on museums over a number of years;
- To examine/consider the Departmental guidelines currently used in place of a formal policy.
- To examine levels of public and private sector investment in museums in Northern Ireland and to compare with other UK regions and the Republic of Ireland and to assess how the associated impacts on individuals, communities and the economy are measured and analysed;
- To draw on research and evidence on best practice on policy for museums which results in building a joined-up museum sector that will, over the long-term, deliver real benefit to individuals, communities and the economy and the associated outcomes;
- To seek input from the museums sector and stakeholders to establish views on a way forward for museums in Northern Ireland;
- To report to the Assembly making recommendations to the Department and/ or others.