SUB-GROUP ON THE COMPREHENSIVE SPENDING REVIEW AND PROGRAMME FOR GOVERNMENT; RATES CHARGES; AND WATER REFORM
Following a direction from The Rt Hon Peter Hain MP, Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, on 23 November 2006, the Assembly’s Committee on the Programme for Government established a sub-group on the Comprehensive Spending Review and Programme for Government; Rates Charges; and Water Reform on 27 November 2006. In the interim, the sub-group is chaired by the Deputy Speakers, Mr Francie Molloy MLA and Mr Jim Wells MLA.
The sub-group’s terms of reference are …
(1) The Comprehensive Spending Review and Programme for Government
To consider –
- The current position of CSR 2007;
- The views of the NI departments on 1) major financial pressures during the 3-year period; 2) efficiency savings; 3) longer-term investment needs and 4) issues which should feature as priorities in a draft Programme for Government; and
- The major areas where additional new investment might be allocated as part of an agreed economic package.
(2) Rates Charges
To consider, in a comprehensive manner, all aspects of rating reform including the work and any proposals developed
- to cap domestic and industrial rate charges and
- to increase the relief available to senior citizens and low income households including those on specified benefits; and
To report on the views of the sub-group on an appropriate capping mechanism and level.
(3) Water Reform
To consider –
- the arrangements for water reform set out in the draft Water and Sewerage Services (Northern Ireland) Order 2006;
- the strategic business plan, governance of the GoCo and the issue of licence; and
- the arrangements for the billing and collection of the water charges.
To report to the Committee on the Programme for Government on these three issues by 18 January 2007
Minutes of the sub-group on the Comprehensive Spending Review and Programme for Government; Rates Charges; and Water Reform:
PN 07/06 Sub-group considers water reform